During the late afternoon of April 25, 2018 Fire Department Crews were sent to 723 South Laclede Station Road for a general fire alarm. This building is a 4 story nursing home and part of a large senior service complex.  While en route crews were updated reporting heavy smoke on the third floor. Upon arrival, crews noted the water motor gong sounding and proceeded to the 3rd floor to begin standpipe operations. All residents of the fire area had been evacuated by staff. As crews made there way to the reported room of origin they noted heavy black smoke coming from the room. They also noted water flowing on the floor. It was then they discovered that a single sprinkler head had extinguished the fire. After ventilation was completed it was determined that the object of origin was an electric lift chair. Fire damage was limited to the chair and there was no extension.

Regards,

Tom Yohe
Webster Groves Fire Chief