On August 5, 2019 at 11:43 pm, we received a call for a fire alarm sounding at a medical office, 2194 Michigan Avenue, Arnold, MO. An update was given from dispatch stating they had fire alarms coming from Las Fuentes Mexican Restaurant at 2198 Michigan Avenue. Upon the arrival of the first arriving engine company, they had nothing showing. Before entering the structure, they had noticed smoke coming from the roof thru the exhaust of the kitchen hood, as well thru the windows of the Mexican Restaurant. Upon gaining entry, the smoke was banked to the floor with mild heat in the unit. Once in the kitchen, they noticed a single sprinkler head activation along with the Ansul extinguishing system discharge in the hood. The fire had started in a pot on the stove that was left on. The sprinkler system kept the fire from spreading outside of the hood, therefore protecting and keeping the fire in check along with the Ansul fire suppression system.

With maintaining both the Ansul fire suppression system and the sprinkler system the unit sustained mild smoke damage and fire was contained to the hood system with no extension outside of the hood.

Yours in Fire Safety,

Jeff DeLapp

Fire Marshal